- This event has passed.
October 30, 2017 @ 8:00 am - October 31, 2017 @ 5:00 pm
This 2-day course introduces you to the basic features and functions of Tableau. It’s ideal for new to moderately experienced Tableau users. You’ll gain fundamental skills to visualize your data, use a wide variety of visual types, connect to data, create basic calculations, build interactive dashboards, share visualizations, and more!
Prerequisites: no prerequisite experience is needed, and no technical or analytical background is required.
Mode of instruction: this course is delivered in-person and includes extensive hands-on activities to reinforce concepts and skills covered. Class discussion and open Q & A are incorporated throughout the course to enhance learning.
Course materials: a training guide and digital archive of all presentations, data files, dashboards, and other documents referenced during the training are provided to students as take-aways. Additional resources such as step by step instructions to create dashboards, and tips & hints are also included.
Connecting to Data
- Options for connecting to data
- Data types and data roles
- Database joins
- Data blending
- Optimal performance considerations
- Reusing and sharing data connections
- Working with multiple connections in a workbook
Analytic Techniques and Creating Views
- Representing data using a variety of visual types:
- Geographic maps, paged charts, animated charts
- Heat maps, scatter plots, bar charts, multiple charts
- Sorting, grouping
- Filtering and quick filters
- Crosstabs/pivot tables, text tables
- Aggregation and disaggregation
- Statistics and trendlines
- Working with string functions, basic arithmetic calculations, date math
- Working with totals, custom aggregations, logic statements
- Formatting options
- Labels and annotations, titles and captions
- Introduction to Visual Best Practices
Working with Parameters
- Making your visualizations more interactive and dynamic with Tableau Parameters
- Data types, using parameters in calculated fields, inputting parameter values and control options
- Using parameters for titles, field selections, logic statements, TopX
Building Interactive Dashboards
- Combining multiple visualizations into a dashboard
- Making your worksheet interactive
- Using best practices to create powerful visualizations
- Packaged workbooks
- Publishing to Tableau Server and sharing over the web
- Other publishing options
To register for this training, please contact Kelly Raposo.