Institutional Research & Data Governance
The Institutional Research and Data Governance Office sits within Planning and Budget Office.
The IRDG Office is responsible for:
- Implementation of an institution-wide Data Governance program to support the University in strategically harnessing data to achieve institutional goals
- Reporting and analytics services within our distributed institutional research model including
- Leading institution-wide analysis projects
- Providing training opportunities for divisional analysts
- Implementing new analytics tools and platforms
- Improving access to curated institutional data assets
- External reporting of institutional data (SMA metrics, key performance indicators for governance, international rankings, data exchanges with peer institutions)
- Leading the planning and execution of the Institutional Data Strategy
Core functions of the IRDG Office include:
Data Governance leads the implementation the institution-wide Data Governance program as a key part of the Institutional Data Strategy. Data Governance establishes and provides consistent and clear guidance around creating, accessing, using, and defining the University’s institutional data, while managing the associated risks, responsibilities, and legal obligations. The team is responsible for providing advisory supports to divisions, in addition to developing institutional processes and products that support the goals of the program. Key areas of focus for the team is related to metadata management, data quality and data access.
Reporting and Analytics leads the design and development of data and analytics products ranging from curation of datasets, automated reporting, and analytics solutions to generate insights for the University and its Divisions. The following items fall into the portfolio of the Reporting and Analytics team:
- Delivering institutional data that support key priorities of the University, while enabling self-service capabilities for users across the University’s divisions.
- Delivering a core set of reporting products that support performance management and accountability functions of the University. These include production of institutional key performance indicators (e.g., SMA3 Metrics, Facts and Figures), the analysis of student survey data and institutional ranking.
- Supporting centrally managed, standardized set of reporting dashboards and analytics based on trusted data sources such as Applications and Admissions, Enrollment, Graduation, and Academic Success dashboards.
- Supporting training on BI tools, analytics methodologies, institutional reporting and analytics products.
The Data Engineering and Analytics Platform team contributes to the University’s Institutional Data Strategy by advancing its practices, processes and technologies to meet the evolving data management and analytics needs of the institution. The team is responsible for designing, managing, and modernizing the University’s data and analytics platform and tools that serve divisions across the institution. In addition to the platform, the data engineering team is responsible for managing institutional data assets, data pipelines and the data environment. Ongoing oversight and change management of pipelines is managed through this function, while integrating the appropriate governance approaches and best practices.